Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Diminish one, diminish all

If you diminish anyone you diminish everyone. When I was in Korea, I caught the lions share of racism being an foreigner. In Korea I was there for about three weeks and broke . I started walking and watched a gaggle of young Korean boys picking on an old lady. I challenged them in Broken Korean. They went into Tae Kwon Do stance. I wiped the floor with the biggest one. Till he yelled "Uncle stop". And I have in my experience stood up for thiee people. I scared the living hell out of three frat boys trying to put cgarettes out on a homeless person in Ne Orleans. By yeling in sensei voice " BE NICE" they were going to try something. I went into stance. A New Orleans cop showed up. Saw what I did and took the frat boys away. Once upon a time I was working o the Island and I had a similar experience, with an older white man complaining about people of color. When this preganant young black woman came on the train. The train was packed and the man refused to move his bags to give the woman a seat. SO I of course stood up, gave her my seat and promptly threw his stuff off the train at the next stop, the train pulled away as the rascist was gathering his stuff. There was applause followed by an older black lady staring up at me with a huge smile saying . " Your mama raised you well." So cheers to the heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment