Friday, February 6, 2009

week 4 or doea anyone kapissh

Week 4 or Does Anyone Here Kapish

Just like the dog lost in Italy in the old warner brothers catoon. As he was holding up the leaning tower of Pisa “ does anyone here KAPISH !!!!”
Well I’m the dog.
That also when cartoons could be a little politically incorrect, all the cops in the cartoons were Irish with outrageous accents. And I still love the accents on the Italian cooks in “Lady and the Tramp”

Holidays, today in one of my advanced classes I taught a section on holidays, and I thought it would be interesting what Holidays the kids would make for themselves. The girl’s made Friendship Day, Music Day, Book Day. The boys made Sleep Day, Playing video Games Day and Food day. Despite their differences the entire class agreed that on their respected holidays they would serve as special food, steak, pizza, ice cream, and cake. At least there we have common ground.

Everything here is so small. There is a red lantern on the second floor stairs of my building which I keep clunking into. I’ve been ambushed by a couple of doorways. I always stand on the bus. My first two classes on Mondays and Wednesdays are my youngest students. This morning class ran a little short and the coloring went awry and degenerated on a celebrity death match between the western giant and a savage group of feral Korean hobbits. They just like it when I pick them up. Of all my classes they can be the most fun or silly. When David and Peter just decide to talk to each other. My dad did it with us when we were kids. It’s called Igor.

Buying a pair of escrima sticks and a basketball soon. Found a court near my house. I’m a lousy shot but it relaxes me. Thinking about a pet. Problem is getting the critter back to the states.

The second class that day is the rowdy too many kids in a small room class. There are islands of sanity and I get the lessons taught. I instituted an “English Only Policy” which seems to be working. And since I have to phone their parents every so often I have leverage., when they want to speak. Poor Brad, my hero, plays translation duties and every night on the ride home, I give him English lessons. He teaches me Korean. His Korean name is Jin Teh. We teach each other slang on the trips home. What is said on the ride home. Stays there.

Iris has been getting better about speaking English. Which helps. But doesn’t fully rid me of the cloaking device that seems to go on . I’ve been studying Korean like a madman. My survival Korean is good. But I miss effortless conversation. Will meet a gaggle of foreigners this weekend. It will be so nice. Anyone I’ve talked to in the states have noticed I’m talking slowly.

I tore a hole in one of my pants. I got to get to Seoul. Which may have to wait another month. Until my Korean shapes up and I get a little more money. Found out I’m only getting paid for half of January cause I stated “officially” on the 12th. So I’ll have another lean month but not as lean as the last.

I’ve been writing a lot. Is coming. I’m waiting for Rick to send me his njotes on some of our comic book stuff.
But right now, I just miss home. I’m learning Korean for " Be safe"

No comments:

Post a Comment