Sunday, September 6, 2009

Peace another old piece from the archive

SCENE 1
( A long duel, multiple weapons, Men vs Women )

GRACE
Intimacy

ROSS
You hunger for it.

JACK/GRACE
Completion.

DAWN/GRACE
Connection.
GRACE
But it can kill

JACK
As surely as a life without it can.

DAWN
So where do we stand?

GRACE
It would be great.

DAWN
If no one ever hurt.

ROSS
And friendship was always the last result.

JACK
But I hate.

GRACE
I lash out.

JACK
I hide.

ROSS
I wait.

GRACE
I weep.

DAWN
I follow.

ROSS
All for our standard causes.

GRACE
Until.

JACK
It's lost.

GRACE
Abandoning the ship.
DAWN
Rocks ahead.

ROSS
Into the waters.

JACK
The vessel.

DAWN
The hard won self.

GRACE
We can't.

ROSS
So easily.

ALL
Sacrifice.

DAWN
Reconciliation. Is useless without understanding.

JACK
That is what I want.

GRACE
Isn't always what you need.

DAWN
Forgiveness.

ROSS
Deny it all you want.

GRACE
Which doesn't seem to matter.

DAWN/GRACE
Needed.

JACK/ROSS
Wanted.

ALL
Acceptance.
JACK
But in the front lines.

GRACE
Shells exploding in your head.

DAWN
Wanting them to hurt.

ROSS
As much as you do.

JACK
Even more.

DAWN
I will have no.

GRACE/ROSS/JACK
Regrets.

DAWN/ROSS
No one ever listens.

GRACE
Live.

DAWN
Love.

ROSS
Learn.

JACK
Grow old.


GRACE
And die.

DAWN
But the aftermath is always.

DAWN
Dust.


ROSS
The sky clears.

GRACE
And then and only then

DAWN
The understanding comes,

ALL
At last,

DAWN
In that bout with kindness.

JACK/DAWN
Wounding your pride,

GRACE/ROSS
A middle ground,

JACK/DAWN
There are absolutes.

DAWN/ROSS
Then you will never love.

GRACE
Grey hues,

JACK
A pretty damnation,

DAWN
And for the not committed,

GRACE
Frightened.

ROSS
I confess.

JACK
I want to love you. But

DAWN
No buts.
GRACE
No clauses.

ROSS
Loopholes.

JACK
A contract.

DAWN
Sealed in a kiss. We love, despite our best interests.

JACK/DAWN
Not withstanding.

GRACE/ROSS
That is what you do.

ROSS
And that.

ROSS/DAWN
And you.

GRACE/JACK
And I.

ROSS/DAWN
With grave reluctance,

GRACE/JACK
Brings us kicking and screaming,

ALL
To peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment