Thursday, June 18, 2009

English is Milk

Some good things that happened this week as my boss was spying on my classes through CCTV.

Taught a unit on Shakespeare to my advanced class, very good. My boss who the day before said I was bad teacher. Saw his precious advanced class. Watch me mesmerized. My boss was watching. I smiled and went on with the lesson.

A common question in Korea, "How old are you " My answer today to my students 106. The shock was priceless, as they did the math. Then one of my smart alecs asked. "What year you born?" I answered "1903." They talked amongst themselves in confused Korean. " Teacher joke right." I smiled and went on with the lesson

Chin Te, my Korean co worker and I saw my Kiwi buddy on the way back from work. So we picked him up. I'm sure my foreigner friends who have never met CHin Te thought he was my imaginary friend. One I conjured in my first two months. I like making Chin Te laugh. He responds " I'm real" , I was teaching him more English in the car. He has gotten so much better. I smiled and went on with the lesson.

Now as for the title of this entry. My students after saying Wei (Why?) and stretching it to ten syllables. I was teaching a unit on Rome. And we hit the section on food, especially wine. One of my whiniest students said " Teacher "I am wine." My response " No you are whiney." I went on after the confused gaze went away. But we got to a section on pizza and the eternally hungry chidren of Korea started complaining about food. " Buy us food." They started asking questions one asked "Teacher why you tall. All weigookin tall?" My response " English " There were many gasps. " English is like Milk, it makes you tall, your teeth white your bones strong, you muscles big." There was a muttering. I knew in my heart that some of my students woud practice English at home for a coupe of centimeters of height. " Teacher joke right? I smiled and went on with the lesson.

It's just too bad so many are lactose intolerant.

No comments:

Post a Comment