Wednesday, June 10, 2009

a walk in the rain

I love to walk in the rain in Byeonjeom at night, glistening neon, makes the streets look newborn. The rain continues to pour and in it's flow I always find mine.

Classes were good today except for my last period ill behaved nightmare class. But the classes leading up to it were good. I kind of broke my bosses rule about me not speaking Korean in class. The books that we have been teaching are innane and hardly enough for 10 minutes let alone forty.

A typical day - Mondays and Wednesdays six to seven classes
Tuesdays and Thurdays seven to eight classes - my last classes these days are with my most advanced kids.
Fridays six classes

My first classes are my young ones which I adore. They all want to learn and I have fun. Rex my colors boy always likes to say "Teacher eyes blue" and my brilliant girl Pink ( she picked that name ) loves to write and draw and always corrects the others. Then there is Kevin who I swear has a better English vocabulary than I do. I had to teach a unit on Math today for my little ones. Which they tore into, funny I never thought I'd have to teach math.
Then the storyville books which are dreadful and give kids huge vocabulary words and no korean to help them build the circuit. My middle classes are full of boys. But I am teaching about a parakeet named Tiki, That hurts my brain. Then to one of my favorite classes with Ana, Luna, Arvid, Thom, and Jack. They are great, always funny and polite. I was helping them with real hard vocabulary for ten year old English speakers let alone ESL students. The last class is 16 or so thirteen year olds. Who don't even try. I feel bad for the few good students in that class, that work hard and have to fight to hear me. I finally got the class calmed down. But it takes work, without me being allowed to use my Korean.

Thank the gods it's going to rain again tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment