Monday, June 15, 2009

A rant

Well you have all heard me complain about the cultural pathological aversion to giving pertinent information that some of the Koreans have. But it often comes out as rudeness. And the Koreans say that we as foreigners just don't understnad the culture. We Weigookin couldn't possibly speak the language or comprehend the culture. That is where they are wrong. All of us who have lived here have a good idea about the culture. We study it. We live it. Most of us are polite to the extreme. And many Koreans reciprocate. But sometimes rudeness is just that. It's not a cultural thing to withold information. It's not a linguisitc thing. It's a blatant lack of common human courtesy. My boss today was saying in mostly Korean that " Korean is a superior language than English. " I argued back that the very idea of one language being superior to another is completely ludicrous. Then I had to explain that in Korean. Just the very idea behind that statement was the exclamation point to the core problem. My boss had me study Korean like a madman to speak it ( as well as study it on my own time ) and now won't let me speak it in class. He doesn't like the fact that I have Korean friends. I just think he doesn't like the idea of me knowing what is going on. But I have eyes and experience. Just treat me like you would a Korean. The same way I would treat a person of any nationality in the states. I lived in new york most of my adult life. It is a refugee camp with good coffee and great pizza. I guess sometimes you just want to be treated like a human being. It's alot to ask I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment