Saturday, June 27, 2009

an interesting day

Having my first Friday off that didn't require a hospital visit. I moved my gear into my friend Ed's place for a few days. With days now clicking off my visa. I have to score the job for GEPIK public schools. I am ready. Woke up 6 am. Got my gear out of the apartment. Left it clean and severed ties with my old hogwan. Saw a movie partially set in NYC. Sam and Tanya scored me a new cellphone. I have been master of the local poke game where a mechanical device pokes prizes out of a target box. I have managed to win a new lighter, a gift certificate, MP3 player, about a dosen toys for my kids, and a few (4) tickets for jeju island (the korean hawaii)for myself and friends. I gave the first ticket to my korean friend Moon Bu. Since he is from there and being paid monthly. An emergency trip can be a hardship. He was very grateful. Now he has it just in case.
So today being Saturday a regular day off. I played with the kids in the park and watched my local choku ( soccer volleyball ) team play. The un sool is type of recreational spurting fountain where the number and height of the water spurting out changes. But the priceless moment today came with me speaking with a very old korean lady they are called ajima, essentially grandmother. So she decides to talk to me. And she was very impressed with my hard won Korean. I told her that it was funny that ajima (grandmother) and hajima ( stop that!) sound the same. She smile and said We take care of children grandmother and "stop that" are the same. We laughed. It was a good moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment