Wednesday, April 8, 2009

favorites and folktales

Well I had a few moments between the waves of chaos to write a few notes.

One was the revelation of some Korean superstitions around the word Sa, Sa=death, it is also the number 4, which is why four is considered unlucky.

My students keep changing their English names. One asked me for my full name. So now some want middle names as well. I was playing favorites today.

I've been reading many Korean folktales and they have been finding their way into my thoughts. Many tales of lost love, hauntings, valiant deeds and monsters. Pretty much my taste.

I was teaching a fable based on the old chinese fable of the woman who lived a good life and wanted to see heaven and hell. So death takes her to hell first. The is a sumptuous feast but all those seated at the table were starving, monaing and miserable. To thier hands were bound twenty foot long chopsticks and the couldn't reach their mouths and were fighting and poking each other with the sticks. Then she asked to see heaven, And much to her suprise she saw a table, with a great feast, but all those at the table were bubbly and happy. When she asked why heaven and hell looked the same Death answered. Look closer. And those at the table in heaven were feeding each other. The definition of goodness and kindness.

I had a good day of classes, My 3 favorites are Anna, Cindy and Alice. Anna always try to speak english with me and always finds words like smart and respect to use in reference to me. Cindy just adores me and likes to hug my legs. And Alice her partner in crime has a better vocabulary than I do.

I been working on Glass Mountain (my adventure novel ) and what is probably my last play Slayin Dragons. The two may become one and create the live radio theatre piece I always wanted to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment