Thursday, April 30, 2009

a memory of childhood

One of the sadder posts to date, but it ends well. I try to keep the blog relatively upbeat. Harry one of my younger students was beaten up by an older boy and was crying. He's a little awkward and heavy for his age. Very shy and always a little sad. He reminded me of a kid long ago, who was shy and awkward. A kid who used to get picked on and beaten up. I comforted him as best I could in Korean and he just gave my legs this huge hug. I gave him / his parents Master Kim's number and offered to help him with his studies. The big problem kid in the hogwan now has the fear of god when I scolded him in korean. I could never abide by bullies. Unfortunately the competitive nature of Korea pushes the kids very hard. Kids here go to school, then academies. They are always hungry and tired. I thought back to the huck finn adventures of my childhood playing in the ocean, running in the swamps, climbing trees. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. Today is also parents day in Korea. So thanks Mom and Pop, for giving me all those great memories, giving me a foundation to build from and freedom to fly, freedom to make mistakes and have victories. I hope I am half the parents you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment