Thursday, May 21, 2009

swordfights and piracy

Had my first really swordmatch in Korea with a Kumdo master. It was about to pour rain and I was training of few of my friends in escrima. It was light sparring but damn it felt good to fight someone of equal or better skill. I've been training on and off with Master Kim and CHul Hee but Tae Kwon Do is not a style I am particularly fond of. We fought to a tie. I'll be contacting him to get my combat fix. I am walking on air. Then the rain came.
I recieved another Korean name Pae Jok last week that loosely translates into Pirate. I was asked to do some Shakespeare and improvise a few sonnets. English speakers lapping up the poetry like hungry sponges. I'm helping a club owner in Suwon with his promotions in English for his new foreigner friendly club. And my Korean which has hit a plateau is progressing again. The glass mountain is in sight. Soon i'll be since months in and halfway home. I now have a full legitimate Korean name that I can write in Korean. Kang Jhang Gun ( Powerful General ) and I started my deeper studies into Korean folktales and warrior culture. The Seonbi ( Scholar ) culture mixed with the knightly warrior spirit. Ki Sa Do , meaning Chivalry. Next month I want to do more cultural exploring. Trying to get further south to Soraksam.

No comments:

Post a Comment