Sunday, March 8, 2009

At last Itaewon and tomato

This weekend was a blast,

Friday night I went out with Garf, the Kiwi. We went to a bar with the very rare male bartender. His English is passable. But one of the few phrases he has "I'm not gay." Garf and I spent time talking and i came to a few realizations. I've really focussed on speaking cleary fast and without and accent. Garf doesn't speak as well but has a greater vocabulary and can read Korean. So I been working on that. Not expecting to go out Friday night. i was a little late meeting the Goddess leonine at Suwon. But she took me to Itaewan. Like john Carter walking the dead sea bottoms or Randolph Carter seeking kaddath. Itaewan was more a myth to me. A far off land where I can read the signs, the books, understand the products. And most importantly get pipe tobacco. An entire store broke into laughter when I yelled "CHEESE!" and ran to the dairy aisle.
We met for neopolitan piza with a former student of hers who is an absolute doll named Joao. I can tell she missed talking in Africannes. So I roamed around with her and ended up in an irish pub called wolfhound. There I met a philly guy, and british girl, and another teacher from chicago. And it was Englishfest 2009. I also got to talk theatre for the first time in a long while. It was like coming home.
So I left Itaewan and headed home. Pipe tobacco in hand. Vowing to make this at least on monthly excursion. But when I left the Byeonjom station, I ran into two english teachers from California who took ne back to Suwon. We went to a restaurant and walked through the red light district. The paited ladies selling their trade like dolls underglass. We eventually ended up at the English speaking bar in Suwon. We had a great time.
Sunday I was watching my CHoKu team and learning my korean. I finally recognized the symbols Toh Ma Toh, yes kids the first word I read in korean was actually an English word Tomato. Training is going well and I and weighing my options. I just want to get paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment