Tuesday, March 3, 2009

On Sunday I went to Suwon. Was waiting for Barry and Garf. The Irishman and Kiwi . And while waiting I saw a foreign couple who looked lost. I asked in my considerate way. " Do you need help" and the foreign woman, snappishly yelled " No we have a guide !" So I let it be. But as I was walking away an older Korean Gentleman said to me, with a shrug. " Foreigners." I replied
" yeah, Foreigners." I'm pretty sure he didn't mistake me for a korean.

I went to the fortress at Suwon with a group of foriegners. My interest and love of fortification architecture kept me in rare form. And yes there will soon be pictures. My computer is still sociopathic. This weekend I hope to get to itaewan ( a part of Seoul with a lot of foreigners ) and counteract my policy of days of full blown Korean. We actually stormed a KFC. With a yell of
" Scott it's the Colonel "

Had another great day hanging on Saturday with the Cho Gu team, they have become my living classroom for conversational Korean. Lots of arm wrestling and chest thumping. Typical guy stuff.

Found out that my hogwan has lost thirty students dude to economic stress here in Korea. So that was a bit of a shock. I am waiting to get paid so I can bank money just in case. I also have been getting packages from home.

Culturally I get to give English names to students, so far I have given Nick, Paul, June, Jeff, Brian, Tony, Diane, Kerrie, Dee, Bob, Jenny, and Josh. Also an odd question everyone asks you here is " Hw old are you? " It's actually not out of rudeness they ask. It's how they place you in the heirarchy of famillial and ageist relationships. But as a weygookin, I have no standing in the society.

So I am still waiting to get paid and keep my options open. I also may have to figure out fast and dirty what to do next should my academy fall.

The training is going well. I won my first sword match today. Working on a Korean alphabet, to keep my blade sense sharp. I am also using it as a tool for reading the language. I have a few characters but I want more. And there are rumors that there are a few escrima practioners out there. English teachers who have studied their English in the Phillipines.

I miss my girl. She sent me a valentine that made me cry. Soon the letters go out. Once my computer works and I don't have to use a PC bong or work's computer. They I can flood the blog with what I have been writing .

Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment