Friday, March 6, 2009

coupons and bloodsport

One weird thing about the system in the hogwan is that students get "coupons" basically little papers which I stamp at the end of class. Depending on how good or bad the student is. The precious coupns are then redeemed for pencils, pencilcases, toys etc. One of my students has enough coupons I swear she is saving for a tropical island in the Sea of Japan. But the coupon system has also made the students visciously guard their coupon papers. One day two boys were arguing over coupons and I said. "Okay for 20 coupons, you two fight to the death." You got to get your pleasures where you can.
Amy and Alice are two cute as a button little gremlins that like to steal my tiny basketball, unfortunately for them they always hide it in the same place. It's like having a pair of ferrets with bilingual language skills.
Discovered the myriad pleasures of a dumpling shop near my school. I figure if I can live frugally for two months out of necessity. I can live frugally when I actually have cash. Put some money away for a flight home if worse comes to worse. But I really want to have a nestegg. Looking into the teaching situation in NYC and Phillyfor when I get home. Looking for a book of English poetry translated on the opposing page in korean. If they have it with Shakespeare I'd be in heaven. Itaewan also has something I have been missing. Good pizza.
Today being Freyaday it's pretty easy for me. Hopefully if the gods are kind, I'll have my computer back soon. I like having internet access on the weekends. And an odd story has been kicking around my head. Feels like a cross between Lovecraft, Hammet, Burroughs and Robert E Howard.
All in all things are okay, still worried about the financial situation at the hogwan and waiting for my medical check. Tomorrow Itaewan. Then I plan a trip to the Beopjusa temple, where some scenes were shot for the "Game of Death"
I keep you posted, and soon more poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment